Hi Garth! I really like the way your garden is going! It feels exactly how I imagine a digital garden is supposed to feel - exploratory, like you're poking through bushes and trees trying to see it all. I especially liked the Plant Food section, naming it Fertilizer was a great way of not only continuing the metaphor, but also it felt a lot like the foundation of all the ideas we're gaining in class and through our readings in 715. You mention in your Notes and Thoughts that you "think there are parallels between learning a language and learning how to navigate in a digital space because they’re both require vigilance and an openness to continue to learn" and I couldn't agree more. I think that final part, about the openness to learn, is really the heart of it because, often with digital tools, both students and educators, might feel discouraged when the process of using or accessing goes beyond one or two clicks. In that sense, it really does feel like you're mastering a new language tool. I also agree with you that so much of digital literacy feels like an added responsibility that I'm still grappling with in terms of how that functions alongside our current capitalist structure (where these topics require a lot of time to plan and implement and yet as adjunct faculty that time isn't always paid...) Even THAT alone feels wonky since it brings up feelings of "well shouldn't I just be in it for the love of the game?" but ultimately I think grappling with ideas means you're really thinking about them and I can tell you are~ I also enjoyed seeing the "Ideas as Images" as I feel like it gives a small peek into the way your brain works and what stands out as most important - which also allows us to get to know the gardener within the garden! I think this is something I'm going to try to incorporate in my garden too - right now it's very wordy and not a lot going on with images. How did you decide what to put as an image and what to write about? That tends to be my biggest challenge (the decision making). I liked the activity you included that you did with your ESL class and I'm curious if you're going to build an "Activities" section in your garden or have them exist separately as their own seedlings/ buddings. Anyway, really great work and I'm excited to see, if I have the opportunity, the way it continues to develop as the semester progresses!
Okay, I have to comment on how exceptionally stunning your Digital Garden is in terms of this being a digital space you have completely made your own. The calm green and the spacey atmosphere truly give an insight into your creative eye, it feels akin to a cool little room one can nerd out in. You're also a very compelling writer, I love your very stream-of-consciousness prose. It really conveys how the gears of your mind are untangling what we have picked up so far in this course, but you're unafraid to include your own Garth perspective. The "Ideas as Images" section also acting as a partial digital scrapbook and guide to scaffold your thought process also feels pretty ingenious. I also appreciate your entry speaking about the "Curiosity is a Luxury" article, relating it to who has flexibility and gets to live a more full-time student experience in the US, whilst others do not have the same amount of privilege. You're unafraid to relate what we learn in the class in a grounded perspective and I personally really admire that approach. Keep it up!
Hi Garth!
ReplyDeleteI really like the way your garden is going! It feels exactly how I imagine a digital garden is supposed to feel - exploratory, like you're poking through bushes and trees trying to see it all. I especially liked the Plant Food section, naming it Fertilizer was a great way of not only continuing the metaphor, but also it felt a lot like the foundation of all the ideas we're gaining in class and through our readings in 715. You mention in your Notes and Thoughts that you "think there are parallels between learning a language and learning how to navigate in a digital space because they’re both require vigilance and an openness to continue to learn" and I couldn't agree more. I think that final part, about the openness to learn, is really the heart of it because, often with digital tools, both students and educators, might feel discouraged when the process of using or accessing goes beyond one or two clicks. In that sense, it really does feel like you're mastering a new language tool. I also agree with you that so much of digital literacy feels like an added responsibility that I'm still grappling with in terms of how that functions alongside our current capitalist structure (where these topics require a lot of time to plan and implement and yet as adjunct faculty that time isn't always paid...) Even THAT alone feels wonky since it brings up feelings of "well shouldn't I just be in it for the love of the game?" but ultimately I think grappling with ideas means you're really thinking about them and I can tell you are~
I also enjoyed seeing the "Ideas as Images" as I feel like it gives a small peek into the way your brain works and what stands out as most important - which also allows us to get to know the gardener within the garden! I think this is something I'm going to try to incorporate in my garden too - right now it's very wordy and not a lot going on with images. How did you decide what to put as an image and what to write about? That tends to be my biggest challenge (the decision making). I liked the activity you included that you did with your ESL class and I'm curious if you're going to build an "Activities" section in your garden or have them exist separately as their own seedlings/ buddings.
Anyway, really great work and I'm excited to see, if I have the opportunity, the way it continues to develop as the semester progresses!
Okay, I have to comment on how exceptionally stunning your Digital Garden is in terms of this being a digital space you have completely made your own. The calm green and the spacey atmosphere truly give an insight into your creative eye, it feels akin to a cool little room one can nerd out in. You're also a very compelling writer, I love your very stream-of-consciousness prose. It really conveys how the gears of your mind are untangling what we have picked up so far in this course, but you're unafraid to include your own Garth perspective. The "Ideas as Images" section also acting as a partial digital scrapbook and guide to scaffold your thought process also feels pretty ingenious. I also appreciate your entry speaking about the "Curiosity is a Luxury" article, relating it to who has flexibility and gets to live a more full-time student experience in the US, whilst others do not have the same amount of privilege. You're unafraid to relate what we learn in the class in a grounded perspective and I personally really admire that approach. Keep it up!
ReplyDelete